shared from Rev. Deanna Hollas, Retreat House Spirituality Center, firstname.lastname@example.org (accessed from APCE conference , January 2020).
Breathing Exercises –
Belly breathing – count 1 on the exhale and 2 on the inhale all the way up to 10. When you get to 10, start over with 1.
Box breathing – exhale for 4, hold for 4, inhale for 4, and hold for 4.
Relaxation Breathing – 6 breaths per minute. Exhale for 5, inhale for 5. repeat.
- After grounding in breath, remember a time, person or place when you felt loved and held with compassion. Notice how this feels in your body.
- Scan your body from head to toe noticing any sensations. Do not judge, just notice.
- Scan again asking, what needs my loving attention today. When something arises, greet it and let it pass.
- Breath slowly – saying Welcome on inhale, Compassion on exhale.
- Do not try to fix or change anything – notice.
Transform: Next step… notice.
Notice your feeling – does it have a shape, symbol temperature, color, voice or personality? An old acquaintance, animal, etc.?
1) Why did you step into my life today? 2) What did you want to teach me? 3) What do I need to learn from you? 4) Have I met you before? 5) What do you need? 6) Do you have a gift for me?
Imagine this feeling as a small child or animal, afraid or hurt, and hold it with all your love and tenderness. Do not try to change it – just hold it.
At the end, say – Thank you for the conversation. Say goodbye and bring yourself back into awareness of the moment, surroundings, place your hand on your heart and open your eyes. Thank yourself for sharing this time to welcome and transform.
Meditation on Word: Try same practice but with a word – later I will respond to each word with a prayer. For now focus on the word that you see which resonates in your heart.
You are with me
I thank my God for you
Loose bonds of Injustice
My sibling’s keeper
Into the depths of the sea
Do not be afraid
Create in Me
To the end