September 13, 2020
Thank you for listening, participating or worshipping with us at Calvary Moravian Church. To support our ministries, you can mail the office a check (948 N. 21st St. Allentown 18104). An online giving portal is at https://mmfa.info/calvary-moravian-church-pa-donation-form/.
Please note the changes this month: (if you are not on our weekly email list, please share your email with email@example.com for regular updates).
9:00 a.m. Outside Worship Continues
10:45 a.m. Inside, limited capacity seating (physically distancing,
Also at 10:45 a.m. Livestream service found at Calvary Moravian Church Allentown’s YouTube Channel. Email us for the address.
Welcome to Calvary Moravian Church
- Hand Sanitizer: We provided three sanitizer stations in the church (one at each entrance and one downstairs in Fellowship Hall). Hand Sanitizer is also available in each pew.
- Masks are required and we have masks available for those who might need them. Please have your mask on before entering Calvary.
- Bulletins and Greeters: A greeter or the pastor will greet you as you enter; however there will not be any hand shaking and bulletins will be already placed in the pews.
- Seating arrangements: Every other pew is roped off as to maintain distances. Bulletins are placed at appropriate places to sit in the open pews. If you are coming with your family unit, please sit together. Otherwise, please maintain the 6 ft distance in pews and when entering and leaving.
- Bathrooms: Our restroom (upstairs only) is open if needed.
- Singing: We will not have choral or congregational singing during our inside service. Special music will be shared and on occasion, we will play pre-recorded singing through our sound system.
- Nursery/Sunday school Room: We will not have the nursery/Sunday school room open for now.
- Offering: You may drop off your offering in the back of the sanctuary in the offering plates before or after the service. We continue to accept your donations by mail, dropped off in the mail slot at the church door, or through bill-pay with an automatic deduction from your bank account into the church’s account. Please call the office to get this set up.
- As you exit the church, please maintain the 6 ft. distance and try to exit the side you are sitting on to continue to avoid close contact with others.
- The “Upper Room” devotional guides are located in the Little Library.
- Check out our Prayer Walk – Look for the Blue Yards signs near the Little Library and follow along Thomas Merton’s prayer to meditate and pray.
–Wednesdays – Mid-Week Sanctuary Prayer Time
Each Wednesday from 12 – 2 p.m. our sanctuary will be open for anyone. Pastor Janel will lead a prayer and mediation at 12 – 12:15 p.m., also on Facebook.
– Today – Sunday, September 13th, 4 – 5 p.m., Kids’ Gathering at Calvary
Outside on the Church Lawn (weather-permitting), Scavenger Hunt and Prayers for Kids of all ages. (please wear masks)
– Monday, September 14th at 12 p.m. or 7 p.m. (Zoom) –
Moravian Women’s Gathering. Book is available in the office – please call first.
WORSHIP – September 13, 2020, 10:45 a.m.
Fifteenth Sunday after Pentecost
PRELUDE: “My Lord, What a Morning”
“Balm in Gilead”
WELCOME AND ANNOUNCEMENTS
CALL TO WORSHIP: Matthew 18: 21-35 “Grace for Us, Grace for Others”
HYMN 686 “Lord of all Nations, Grant me Grace”
Lord of all nations, grant me grace
to love all people, every race;
and in each person may I see
my kindred, loved, redeemed by thee.
Forgive me, Lord, where I have erred
by loveless act and thoughtless word.
Break down the wall that would divide
thy children, Lord, on every side.
SILENT CONFESSION/ASSURANCE OF PARDON
Psalm 121 Liturgy (from Sing to the Lord A New Song)
I lift up my eyes to the hills – from where will my help com?
My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth.
Silent reflection: How ready and willing am I to rely on the Lord’s help? Where, in my life, might I rely more on God
He will not let your foot be moved; he who keeps you will not slumber
He who keeps Israel will neither slumber nor sleep.
Silent reflection: How have I experienced God’s attentiveness in my life?
The Lord is your keeper; the Lord is your shade at your right hand.
The sun shall not strike you by day, nor the moon by night.
Silent reflection: In what way am I feeling the heat of daily living?
What do I need to say to God about this?
The Lord will keep you from all evil; he will keep your life.
The Lord will keep your going out and your coming in from this time on and forevermore.
Silent reflection: What tempts me to live in ways that are not consistent with God?
What do I have to say to God about this? How does God respond?
TALLIS CANON (22 T, hymn 64)
We humbly gather in this place
to praise you, Lord, and seek your grace,
and, Holy Spirit, we now pray:
come, work among us every day.
As we go forth to do your will,
Lord, guide us and your word fulfill,
And show us how to work and be
Your blest disciples, wholly free. ©2006 by John Craver
PRAYERS OF THE PEOPLE
SCRIPTURE: Exodus 14:19-31
HYMN 790 “Guide me of My Great Redeemer”
Guide me, O my great Redeemer, pilgrim through this barren land;
I am weak, but you are mighty; hold me with your powerful hand.
Bread of heaven, bread of heaven,
feed me now and evermore, feed me now and evermore.
Open now the crystal fountain, where the healing waters flow.
Let the fire and cloudy pillar lead me all my journey through.
Strong Deliverer, strong Deliverer,
ever be my strength and shield, ever be my strength and shield.
CELEBRATION OF HOLY COMMUNION
Grace, mercy, and peace, from God our Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ, be with you all.
HYMN 423 (vs. 1 and 2) “Come Let Us Eat” (Sharing Right Wave of Fellowship).
Leader: Come, let us eat, for now the feast is spread,
Congregation: come, let us eat, for now the feast is spread.
Our Lord’s body let us take together,
our Lord’s body let us take together.
Come, let us drink, for now the wine is poured
come, let us drink, for now the wine is poured.
Jesus’ blood poured let us drink together,
Jesus’ blood poured let us drink together.
Prayer of Thanksgiving
(The Lord’s Prayer may be used as a conclusion to this prayer.)
Our Lord Jesus Christ, on the night he was betrayed, took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it, gave it to his disciples, and said: Take, eat, this is my body which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of me.
(All partake together from the wafer or a bread of your choice.)
By your divine presence,
By the holy sacraments,
By all the merits of your life, sufferings, death, and resurrection,
Bless and comfort us, gracious Lord and God. Amen.
In the same way, after supper our Lord Jesus Christ took the cup, gave thanks, and gave it to his disciples, saying: Drink from this, all of you; this is my blood of the new covenant, which is shed for you and for many for the forgiveness of sin. Do this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me.
(All partake together from the cup provided or a drink of your choice.)
SPECIAL MUSIC: “Beautiful Savior” arr. Ettinger
Christ, the Lamb of God, you take away the sin of the world;
Grant to us your peace. Amen.
Whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death,
Until he comes.
HYMN (Sharing the Right Wave of Fellowship)
Leader: In Jesus’ presence now we meet and rest.
Congregation: in Jesus’ presence now we meet and rest.
In the presence of our Lord we gather,
in the presence of our Lord we gather.
Rise, then, to spread abroad God’s mighty word,
rise, then, to spread abroad God’s mighty word.
Jesus risen will bring in the kingdom,
Jesus risen will bring in the kingdom.
The Lord bless you and keep you;
The Lord make his face shine upon you and be gracious unto you;
The Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace;
In the name of Jesus. Amen.
Thanks to Charles and Kathleen Jenkins for serving as our ushers.
Reprinted or adapted from the 1995 Moravian Book of Worship with the permission of the Interprovincial Board of Communication, Moravian Church in America. © 1995 IBOC. www.moravian.org; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. All rights reserved.
Permission to podcast / stream the music in this service obtained from ONE LICENSE,
License M-733262, All rights reserved.